Thursday, September 06, 2007

Gardening Equals Strong Bones


For me, gardening is a passion. So, I was pleasantly surprised when I recently read that activities like gardening can contribute to bone health. There was an article entitled, "Build Bones with Strength Training, " by Jorge Cruise, in the USA Weekend dated August 3-5, 2007. In the article it stated that researchers doing a six-year, nationwide study found that "weight-bearing activities like strength training and yardwork were linked to bone health." The lead researcher pointed out that "like muscles, bone responds to force by growing. . . bones become more dense." In addition, it is essential to get the right amount of calcium each day for someone your age.

It is reassuring to know that when I'm gardening I'm not just turning up dirt, I'm improving my bone strength too. GARDENING = STRONG BONES

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well thats good news as I spend a good amount of time in my garden!

Manuela

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree that is great news. I like to think that gardening does something for my mental health, but if it is now being linked to better physical health too... hooray! All the more reason to spend all day in the garden.

http://www.myeasygardening.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google