Monday, August 06, 2007

Gardening is a Healthy Workout

I've been a little blue about the garden. All the rain, then heat and humidity, then some more rain and heat - well, you get the picture. This type of weather pattern can wreak havoc on a garden. So, I was looking at some pictures from earlier in the spring, when I was getting my seeds started to plant later in the ground. I realize that it is alot of hard work, but despite the sometimes disappointing results, it is well worth it. I started gardening not only to get fresh, organic fruits and vegetables to eat and enjoy with family and friends, but also because there is nothing healthier than getting a good sweat outside in the dirt. I really am gardening for health - my physical, spiritual, mental, emotional, and even financial health. Gardening does all that, and more.
I was reading in the July/August 2007 issue of HEALTH magazine, that "gardening burns around 340 calories per hour for a 150-pound woman, and strengthens the muscles throughout the body." I don't know a woman, or for that matter, a man, who is concerned about their health, that wouldn't enjoy burning calories like that. Kudos to: Gardening for Health.















Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger Gardenista said...

I can't help but notice the strong theme of your blog! Gardening is a very healthy activity and I absolutely am nuts about it. Did you happen to see my "Can gardening kill you?" post of last month though? (http://zoneonegarden.blogspot.com/2007/08/can-gardening-kill-you.html) I really had to try hard to come up with this list, which was partly an exercise in medical trivia!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google